Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hilarious tale of How a County Clerk Improvised for a Couple Desperate to Get Married in 1838

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
tracesoftexas
(@tracesoftexas)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter

What are you going to do when your cow goes off?  Too funny!  

“Republic of Texas

To all who shall see this present, greetings. Whereas I, Clerk of this County, having this morning unthoughtedly tied my office key as a clapper in my cow’s bell; and whereas the said cow has gone astray to parts unknown, bearing with her the said key; and therefore the said key is “non inventus est” —- that is, it can’t he had; And whereas one Abner Barnes has made application to me for marriage license, and the said Abner persists that he cannot wait until the cow comes back with the key, but is compelled by the violence of his feelings and the arrangements already made to get married: Therefore these presents are to command any person legally authorized to celebrate the rites of matrimony to join the said Abner Barnes to Rebecca Downs; and for so doing this shall be your sufficient authority.

Given under my hand and private seal, on the doorstep of my office —- the seal being locked up, and my cow having gone away with the key, this fourth day of October, A.D. 1838. Henry Osborne, Clerk”

—–a quickly improvised Republic of Texas marriage license, 1838

Beauty is only skin deep but Texas is to the bone.

Posted : 25th December 2019 10:06 pm
Share: