Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

When Garland, Texas, Was Called "Duck Creek"

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
656 Views
tracesoftexas
(@tracesoftexas)
Posts: 670
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter
 

The city of Garland was originally called "Duck Creek." The first Duck Creek school was built in 1858, and three stores and two grist mills were in operation in the 1870s. Duck Creek was granted a post office in 1878. In 1886 the Katy railroad built through the area from Greenville to Dallas. and a short time later the Santa Fe railroad crossed the Katy from the south, going from Dallas to Greenville. Both railroads missed the village of Duck Creek, however, so various citizens laid out two new towns. The one near the Santa Fe depot was named "Embree" in honor of the Postmaster, K.H. Embree, and the one near the Katy depot assumed the proud name of "Duck Creek." The hamlets refused to join hands, but in 1887 a fire wiped out most of the original Duck Creek, at which time New Duck Creek claimed the post office. The village of Embree contested it. The matter was put to rest in 1888 when newly-elected Congressman Jo Abbott got the post office department to relocate the post office halfway between New Duck Creek and Embree, naming it "Garland" in honor of President Grover Cleveland's attorney General, A.H. Garland, who had earlier been a Confederate congressman from Tennessee.

Beauty is only skin deep but Texas is to the bone.

 
Posted : 7th January 2020 7:30 pm
Share: