The Man With the Best Name in Texas History
Telephus Telemachus Louis Augustus Albertus Johnson, who died in Waco in 1875, was originally buried in the historic First Street Cemetery there. His remains were later re-interred in Oakwood Cemetery, which laid to rest the myth that he was buried sitting at a poker table with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a six shooter in the other.
Johnson was born on November 22, 1822, a son of Hezekiah Johnson. The family moved to Waco in 1852. Johnson received only an elementary education but became one of the wealthiest men in Waco. He engaged primarily in trading and between 1863 and 1864 bought a total of 760 acres of land on the east bank of the Brazos River. He also owned many town lots and influenced the building of the courthouse at Second and Franklin Streets. He was involved in the Tomas de la Vega land suits. After his marriage, he built a home at Second and Mary Streets for his wife for whom Mary Street is named. The house was demolished in 1913. Johnson died on January 27, 1875, and was buried in First Street Cemetery. It was some time later that his remains were re-interred. Also, there is no truth to the rumor that Johnny Cash originally wrote "Boy named Telephus Telemachus Louis Augustus Albertus Johnson" but changed it to "Boy named Sue."
Beauty is only skin deep but Texas is to the bone.